Tuesday, December 15, 2015

IHG win and lose.


Where shall we start? I suppose the beginning.

This afternoon I called IHG about a complicated booking. 4 Adults, 3 kids, one suite, points and cash. Matter resolved, we're not using points to stay at the fancy resort with no breakfast and $38 parking. No thanks. We'll stay at the Holiday Inn across the street unless something shows up on point breaks between now and October. 

Moving on to the real story.
At the end of my call I was asked to do a survey with the promotional department. I almost always say no, but recently some friends who are merely IHG rewards members as of recent got asked to do a survey and ended up with a 3 night stay for doing a two hour timeshare tour. So I agreed...with the friendliest attitude I could muster up. All in hopes of milking this offer. After some discussion I was offered a 3 night stay at a resort of my choice (From a list of about 7) for $199. This included two large resorts on the west coast that would be a one bedroom condo. I said no, gave my reasons (husbands recent surgery, that's why we vacation on points,etc). Then I was transferred to a manager for a re-offer. $199 for the stay. The entire amount back in cash upon our arrival. $100 gift card for future stays.18 months to book our trip.  And all I have to pay for is about $45 in taxes. Of course, a 2 hour resort tour. But hey, we can handle that. We agreed that would be an acceptable offer. And a nice trip to use for our anniversary.  So we go through the whole process, they have to read off a million things I have to agree to. Blah blah blah. But wait. Our income?  Who would have known  you would have to meet a certain income bracket to qualify?! The poor nice guy on the phone tried to word it differently so I would accidentally say yes I think. But I had to tell him in all honestly, this past year we didn't meet that number. The irony!!! Not making enough money to get a free vacation. 
45 minutes on the phone,,,down the drain. 
(Insert dramatic soap opera music)

The only good thing that came out of that entire phone call was knowing that we qualify for two targeted offers with our upcoming trip to Knoxville and will be getting 11,0000 points back. Not bad for only spend 15,000 for our entire stay! 

I just wish I knew about the income requirement before I spent all that time on the phone. Maybe next year IHG. 

No comments:

Post a Comment